Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It Could Happen To You


I read today of the firing of the two top women's fashion executives at Barneys NY, a firing that seemed inconceivable based on how closely linked to the Barneys brand these two women were.(Article at http://runway.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/will-top-firings-change-barneys-cool/?hp) When you live and work in as public an arena as high-end fashion, hirings and firings are there for all to see and read about. But I couldn't help but wonder how these two women were feeling today.

Have you ever been fired? I have. It's awful. It's awful like being raped is awful. Like being dumped unexpectedly is awful. When someone else can suddenly alter one's fate and one's future through his actions, it can take the most confident and accomplished of us and make us immediately feel incompetent and lacking. I can't even begin to imagine how much worse it feels to then have the news amplified in the public arena, but I feel for these women. I don't know them; I might not even like them if I met them. They could be the biggest snobs in the world or they could be people who yell at their assistants in public. But regardless, dragging their names through the mud is the last thing they need right now, and I wish them well as they recover from being summarily let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment