Monday, August 8, 2011

Angelina Ballerina




We've all seen them, those little girls out and about leading their busy lives while rocking their tutus. I find myself smiling when I see one, imagining what fantasy might be playing out in their minds, compelling them to dress for the day in a tutu (maybe over jeans, or tights, or a diaper, or over their dress). Princess? Ballerina? Free spirit?

I, for one, loved reading the stories of Angelina Ballerina to my daughter when she was little. Angelina is a strong-willed chubby mouse who loves to dance, who breaks things in the process, and who works toward her dream of being a ballerina, all the time in her tutu. Little girls were wearing tutus way before Angelina, but the message that a girl can be anything she wants to be AND wear a tutu really encouraged the appeal of this indispensable wardrobe staple for many little girls.

And so, fast forward to a week ago, when I stumbled upon this wonderful black tulle skirt on sale at a favorite store. Off came my sensible and beloved Eileen Fisher tunic and on came this skirt, channeling my inner Angelina. I wore the skirt to dinner that night, and again to a party this past weekend, feeling flirty, strong, and absolutely myself. While I have resisted wearing it every day of the week, it has taken every bit of my adult willpower to do so!

(skirt by Lilith)

No comments:

Post a Comment