Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Care for Her


I brought this lovely lady home from the flea market a month ago. She was calling out to me for reasons I could not quite explain. Perhaps it was her fabulous overalls and style. But more likely it had to do the message on this vintage poster: "Care for her through the YWCA." While the poster went immediately to the framer, I went to Google to learn more about the YWCA.

As a Jew, the "Christian" part of the name has always been an initial stumbling block, yet over the years I have learned about the "Y" , and that the YWCA is the oldest and largest multicultural women's organization in the world with a mission to eliminate racism and empower women. In the 40's women came to the Y for job training. Today, more often than not, women come to the Y in times of crisis, as survivors of rape or domestic violence. I didn't know this before, but this poster helped me find out.

So why write about it? Not particularly to show off the new art that is hanging in my bedroom, but more to express my gratitude for organizations like the Y and the Girl Scouts which have boldly worked to provide safe havens and places of learning and empowerment for girls and women. Since I am having so many conversations with women these days, women who are in the throws of change, who are looking for resources and guidance, I am learning that the need for safe havens and advocates for women is as strong as ever. Care for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment