Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Big Event


Having a big important event to attend today, one where there will be people I don't know from a professional world I don't frequent, sent me into my normal response of "What should I wear?". A suit? (me?) Something artier? (with this conservative crowd?) While trying on the alternatives, a quiet voice inside is saying, "And my sister Alice has breast cancer", making the decision easier, because the clothes just don't really matter, do they.

When I participated in the Breast Cancer 3-Day 60-mile walk a few years ago, it was Alice who flew across the country to surprise me and cheer me on, so it seems ironic/tragic that she is now stricken with the far-too-common disease. While she has been told that her cancer is treatable and curable, it is nonetheless a scary reminder of the fragility of life and what really matters. My daily phone call with Alice, in which I'll dish on the people at today's big-deal event and report on my sartorial decision, will certainly be the highlight of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment